Friday, December 18, 2009

Waiting

I am waiting. None too patiently, I might add. I'm waiting for my new bunny to arrive. Lucas was supposed to pick up all the bunnies because he had to go to Burlington anyway. (We had planned to go up on Sunday.) This is great for two reasons. First, I don't have to drive all the way up there and lose a Sunday when I should be getting ready for Christmas and second, I get to have my bunny sooner. It's a win-win situation. Except for poor Lucas, but he volunteered.

In the meantime I'm pondering the cold. And has it been exceptionally cold. When I woke up (not on purpose) at 3:30 this morning it was 3 below zero. Too cold. When I brought the kids to school it had warmed up to 0. Woohoo. I think it may have gotten as high as 18 (at least according to my car, which is sometimes a bit off.) You know it's too cold when you dash outside to do something like check and see if there are any new eggs and before you make it to the chicken coop door you're starting to get numb. And I always wonder . . . how do they manage in really cold places like Alaska? There must be a trick to living in and with the cold. Like maybe you can't fight it. Maybe you have to learn to be one with the cold. I read once (because I like reading books about living in Alaska) that you'll always be a cheechako (a greenhorn) until you learn to really like the cold, rather than just tolerate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment