Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Red Posole - Be Still My Heart

As promised, I am here to wax poetic about red posole. But first, an update. The Felted Tailspun Collier I donated to Craft Hope for Haiti has been listed (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=38914436). All the purchase price goes to Doctors Without Borders. (The person who donates the item donates the shipping as well, however much it is.) I ask you, what could be better than making a donation to a worthy cause AND getting cool stuff?? I mean, even if you don't want anything for yourself, you saint, who doesn't have a birthday or other celebration coming up soon they need to buy a present for? Need I remind you that wedding season and graduation is fast approaching?? Hmm? Go, shoo, go buy and then come back here for the posole part. We'll wait.

Okay, so I read some books by Judith Ryan Hendricks and while I liked some of them better than others the thing they all had in common was that they made me hungry. Some for bread and some for Mexican food (although I think she makes a distinction that it's not Mexican, it's Southwestern, but for a Yankee it's all pretty much the same.) Anyway, after the last one I was dying to try something, anything, Southwestern, but it sounded like the ingredients were hard to find and I despaired. So imagine my elation when Heidi Swanson of 101 Cookbooks posted an entry in her blog for Red Posole. I'd never heard of it, but it sounded great. It called for hominy. All right. Haven't eaten much hominy, but what the hey. I found a can of it (even though she says get the dried kind.) I even found the New Mexican Chile peppers (Price Chopper). I couldn't find the Mexican oregano or the ground red chile powder so I used regular oregano and Chipotle Chile Pepper (Price Chopper again.)

It was soooo good that I haven't stopped eating it. I ran out of hominy so I cooked up a batch of anasazi beans and that was great too (that's the version that's in the bowl.) I mixed it with brown rice and topped it with some salsa verde. Here's the link so you can get the recipe for yourself, but disclosure: it's addicting (and very hot)!!! http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/red-posole-recipe.html Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment